Tuesday, May 20, 2008

SHOTS!

Today was the dreaded day that Peyton had to get his shots for Kindergarten (four of them). He knew it was coming soon because each day at Preschool a different child would limp in and say they had just gotten their shots to go to school. I hate taking my kids to get shots but it is a necessary evil. I remember when I took Peyton for his first shots when he was two months old. I started crying and the nurse had to ask me if I was o.k. However, part of that was hormones but no one likes to see their child in pain. You feel so bad holding them still while the nurse injects them.
Peyton was very brave. He did not even cry but he did beg the nurse to stop after the first two. However, he held very still and did a great job! It is a good thing he does not take after his dad when it comes to shots. Lance passes out every time he gets shots or has his blood taken.

I think it helped that I had made a deal with Peyton before his appointment that if he was good for his shots I would take him after to get a Transformer. I am sure this goes against all correct parenting theories but it worked well for us. As soon as his appointment was over Peyton told the nurse he was on his way to get a Transformer.

Peyton did great and didn't miss a beat when he got home - running, riding his bike and teasing his sister. Then our power went out and we had to get out all the candles and flashlights. It was a pretty exciting day for a five year old.

2 comments:

Dukefamily5 said...

Mindy, it was so fun to see you last night. We should do that more often, don't you think? Your kids are so darling and I am so thankful to have you as a friend. Good job being so brave Peyton!

Mallory said...

Love it Mind! This weekend was tons of fun!